[Mapserver-users] Problem with SDE connection

Norbert Thieme norbert.thieme at ilmenau.baw.de
Wed Mar 31 09:49:23 EST 2004

Hi!

I'm setting up a Mapserver (version 4.0.1), that should use ESRI's
ArcSDE as data source. The Mapserver is running under SuSE Linux 8 and
ArcSDE is running on Informix under HP UX. Because I couldn't find a SDE
Client for SuSE Linux and Informix on the SDE Install CD, I compiled the
Mapserver with the RedHat - Oracle version.
Can someone please tell me if this is a possible way? If not, do anybody
know a SDE Client for my configuration or is there another way to get
that running? - If this is definitely the wrong way you can stop reading
here.

Everything is running fine apart from the results of the SDE Connection.
I set up a simple mapfile with only one Layer with a SDE Connection
(please see below). In this mapfile I tried different alternatives for
the connection because I was not sure how the parameters have to look
like in detail. The result from this was in all the cases a blank map
(empty picture) and there is no error message. If the reason for the
blank map comes not from the wrong client, how can I check where
something is wrong. Is there a way to check for example the connection
to the SDE or to get some kind of error message to determine the problem?

My mapfile:

MAP
  IMAGETYPE      PNG
  STATUS ON
  SIZE 400 400
  EXTENT 3250470.029539 5221162.578925 3942023.41747 6113902.660721
  UNITS METERS
  TRANSPARENT ON
  #SHAPEPATH      "Daten"
  IMAGECOLOR     255 255 255

  PROJECTION
     "init=epsg:31467"
  END

  WEB
    MINSCALE 100
    MAXSCALE 8200000
    IMAGEPATH '/srv/www/htdocs/mapserv_tmp/'
    IMAGEURL '/mapserv_tmp/'
    LOG '/srv/www/htdocs/anw1/mapserv_log.log'
  END

  LAYER
    NAME         "Kreise"
    DATA         "sde.rl_vg250_kreis,shape"
    METADATA
      LYRNAME "Kreis"
    END
    DEBUG ON
    CONNECTIONTYPE SDE
    #CONNECTION "wagis.ilmenau.baw.de,ol_wagisimp,wagisimp,usrID,usrPwd"
    #CONNECTION
"wagis.ilmenau.baw.de:5150,ol_wagisimp,wagisimp,usrID,usrPwd"
    #CONNECTION "wagis.ilmenau.baw.de,port:5150,wagisimp,usrID,usrPwd"
    #CONNECTION "wagis.ilmenau.baw.de,5150,wagisimp,usrID,usrPwd"
    CONNECTION "wagis,5150,wagisimp,usrID,usrPwd"
    STATUS       ON
    TYPE         POLYGON

    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:4326"