[Mapserver-users] Using mapserv.js with decimal degrees

Matthew Perry mtperry78 at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 3 15:00:48 EDT 2004

Hey all,
  I have been using the mapserv.js and dbox.js
libraries for developing mapserver interfaces. It
works great for projected data but now we're trying to
get the navigation tools (panning, zooming, etc) to
work with decimal degrees.

In the mapserv.js, there is a global variable called
InchesPerMapUnit that you need to set correctly if not
using meters. Since lat/long is measured in angular
units (degrees), how would you set this variable?

Are there any other tricks to get the coordinate
calculations working with lat/long? Anyone had any
luck with this? Is it even possible?

Thanks for any input!

Matt Perry
Natural Resources Planning