[Mapserver-users] PHP4's bundled regex problem - PHP MapScript

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue May 4 17:06:25 EDT 2004

Benjamin Thelen wrote:
> Mapserver needs php to be compiled as a cgi, if phpMapScript support is
> requested, so --with-apache or --with-apxs doesn't really make sense, I
> think. But maybe I am wrong. I agree, that lots of people have had this
> problem and the error message is missleading.

PHP's --with-regex=system works *only* if PHP is configured as a CGI,
that is that is without the --with-apxs and --with-httpd options.

I have updated the error message in both 4.2 and 4.3 versions to try to
explain that more clearly:

!!! The current version of PHP MapScript has some problems with       !!!
!!! PHP4's bundled regex.  Until we figure the solution to the        !!!
!!! problem, the workaround is to compile PHP4 with the system regex  !!!
!!! Please re-configure and re-compile PHP4 using --with-regex=system !!!
!!! and then re-configure and re-compile MapServer.                   !!!
!!! Note that PHP's --with-regex=system works only when PHP is        !!!
!!! is configured as a CGI (that is without the --with-apxs and       !!!
!!! --with-httpd options). So if you configured your PHP using        !!!
!!! --with-regex=system and still get this error then make sure you   !!!
!!! configured PHP as a CGI.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca