[Mapserver-users] AVL

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Fri May 7 10:06:45 EDT 2004

We currently have an evaluation system in place which uses vehicle
mounted hardware configured to send location and event readings (such as
plow up/down) to a server listener living in our DMZ which decodes the
packets and redistributes them to a mapscript application via http.
The mapscript application makes an http request to the listener server
each time the local browser reloads the cgi (controlled via meta
http-equiv="refresh") and updates the map accordingly.
Using the last 10 readings mapscript generates the points and the lines
comprising the path.
As each map refresh occurs the cgi determines if the most recent point
is new or not and turns the "last known point" green->yellow->red for
movement/no-movement.
Mapserver/mapscript works great as it allows us to dynamically add the
new points & lines and automatically determine whether the backdrop
image should be a USGS quad or one of several different resolutions of
digital orthophotos based on the map scale.
There are plenty more details but that is the overview.

HTH

Lowell

The following message was sent by vadivelan palanisamy
<sp_vadivelan at yahoo.com> on Thu, 6 May 2004 23:48:18 -0700 (PDT).

> Dear lists,
>

> I want to know anyone have used the mapserver for automated vehicle
location application. (user can see the vehicle (point) moving on the map).