[Mapserver-users] 5 second survey: data formats

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Wed May 12 13:43:25 EDT 2004

Hmmm, you and Bob are both saying the same thing I think.

> This is a somewhat self selecting poll. The poll results should be
> exactly those file formats that mapserver BEST supports because that is
> what people will use to get the job done.

Let me put the question to you another way.  How well used is ECW image
format versus GeoTiff?  The point is, I don't know but would like to know
the relative proportion of users who depend on one or the other more. This
is helpful for those of us running workshops, etc. who may need to focus
in on specific formats that are of particular interest to the community
instead of assuming all are of equal importance.

> A better poll would be to ask something like. If all vector formats had
> the same level of support and performance in mapserver, what are the top

> two that you would use. An ditto for raster.

That makes sense, but it is a completely different answer I was looking
for.

> You have done a few polls, Can you summarize the results to the list.

Links to all the polls are available at:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SurveyResults

I may summarize the results when I have some more time.  I put the two one
or two results on the wiki already.

Thanks for the feedback,
Tyler