[Mapserver-users] 5 second survey: data formats

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed May 12 14:19:30 EDT 2004

Tyler,

OK, good point, I was not thinking about it that way.

I think that what is being used is selected based on a few criteria.

If one is experimenting with mapserver then the criteria probably has to
do with what format is the data one has access to in. And is it easier
to use it in this format or to convert it to another format.

If one is doing production servers, then the decision will be based on
performance, functionality, capacity probably in that order. What is
fastest? Given the functionality that is absolutely required (like
dynamic data vs static data). And in some special cases disk capacity
might be a driving consideration. Most people doing product servers are
willing to transform their data to a format that is faster for drawing
rather than convenient for setup.

That is my two cents, everyone should feel free to rebut or add you own
opinions :)

-Steve