[Mapserver-users] Mapserver Newbie Quests

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Sat May 15 14:10:04 EDT 2004

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

>>I have set up Mapserver Win Binaries (4.2 beta2) on a Windows 2000
>>Server Machine, because of the ECW Support of GDAL. The Server only
>>should Serve a bunch of ECW Color Images per OGC Service at a good
>>performance. So I created a tile index over the Fotos (~10000
>>Mosaics in endconfig) as shapefile. This works fine but there are
>>also a lot of problems, I can not solve with my mapserver skills.
>>
>>Problem 1: Can I use a tile index, served by a PostGIS Database? Is
>>that faster (more perormance)?
>

> I think that your shape file tile index is probably going to be faster, in
> theory, than PostGIS.  The nature of MapServer is that PostGIS calls have
> to go through a couple more levels to get your answer, whereas shape files
> are bit more simple.
>

>>Problem 2: When I zoom out too much, mapserver needs exponentially
>>more time to process the input ecw´s to a output jpeg. How can I
>>tune that best? (Pyramids? How?)

> ECW's, by nature, have a type of pyramids already.

Even if GDAL is using ECW's built-in pyramids, the overhead of opening
~10000 files would be significant. I'd recommend pyramids. Maybe fewer
than you would use with tiffs. Patch your images together and down
sample them.

>>Problem 3: On the Server, there are running lots of instances of
>>mapserv.exe, which I can´t kill, because "Acces denied!" (I´m root
>>on that machine). COuld there be some misconfiguration?

Those are probably instances of mapserv.exe that died. Get the
"kill.exe" tool from the NT Resource Kit (or Google it).

>>Problem 4: I´m testing this configuration (mapserver + ecw Imagery +
>>tile index), to find a method to serve very large raster data for
>>our ArcIMS Services, ArcGIS Applications and AutoCAD Clients. Do you
>>think, there might be a better solution? For my part, mapserver
>>could do this good (if I could admin it perfectly), but maybe there
>>is a much better solution.

ER Mapper has an ECW Image Web Server. Don't know much about it, but it
sounds like what you are looking for.

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood