[Mapserver-users] Transparency issues with ArcIMS Emulator and defined line symbols

Ellis Robin Bundaberg Robin.Ellis at nrm.qld.gov.au
Sun May 16 20:33:24 EDT 2004

Hi list

I'm having trouble displaying lines 'over-the-top' of other datasets in ArcMap when using Mapserver's ArcIMS emulator and defined line symbols. It seems that when I define a line symbol of my own (to simply allow me to adjust the width/size of the line) the image produced by Mapserver seems to be struggling to portray the transparencies required. This manifests itself in two different ways, depending on how many ArcIMS services are being simulated.

Firstly, if I reference my underlying data (say, polygons) in a separate map file (and therefore map service) to my line data, I find that when I turn on my line data the underlying data is totally obscured by what should normally be a transparent image background. On the other hand, if I reference all data sets in the one map file (as per the layer descriptions from the mapfile given below) I find that turning the line data on doesn't totally obscur the layers beneath, but there problems associated with polygon boundaries appearing transparent when they shouldn't, and with same labels being partially obscured.

The problem seems to be completely associated with the SIZE component of the CLASS object. Even when using a defined SYMBOL (instead of SYMBOL 0) I find the problem doesn't occur when unsing SIZE 1.

I've included a copy of the map file below to give some idea of what's going on. This particular example displays just fine out side of ArcMAP. Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Regards

Rob

#
# Start of map file
#
NAME se_tester
STATUS ON
SIZE 600 600
EXTENT 396500 7226000 406500 7233500
UNITS METERS
IMAGETYPE png
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
Resolution 96
FONTSET /data4/WWW/mapserver/symbols/fonts/fonts.list

      PROJECTION
        "proj=utm"
        "zone=56"
        "ellps=GRS80"
        "south"
        "no_defs"
      END

#
# Start of web interface definition
#
WEB
  IMAGEPATH /data4/WWW/tmp/
  IMAGEURL "http://myserver/tmp/"
  TEMPLATE "frmap.php"
END

#
# Start of reference map
#

#
# Start of legend
#
LEGEND
  KEYSIZE 18 12
  LABEL
    TYPE BITMAP
    SIZE MEDIUM
    COLOR 0 0 89
    POSITION UR
  END
  STATUS ON
  TEMPLATE "legend.html"

END

#
# Start of scalebar
#
SCALEBAR
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
  LABEL
    COLOR 0 0 0
    SIZE SMALL
  END
  SIZE 350 5
  COLOR 255 255 255
  BACKGROUNDCOLOR 0 0 0
  OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
  UNITS KILOMETERS
  INTERVALS 10
  STATUS ON
END

SYMBOL
  NAME "double-line"
  TYPE ELLIPSE
  POINTS 1 1 END
  FILLED TRUE
END

#
# Start of layer definitions
#

LAYER

      NAME "Childers Soils (CBW)"
      CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
      CONNECTION "/data2/aid/region/land/soils/100k/childers/cbw"
      DATA "3"
      STATUS default
      TYPE polygon

     METADATA
       LAYNAME "Childers Soils"
       LAYEXTENT "390500 7179000 450000 7235000"
     END

      PROJECTION
        "proj=utm"
        "zone=56"
        "ellps=GRS80"
        "south"
        "no_defs"
      END

 MAXSCALE 500000

   LABELITEM "map_code"

CLASS
#   EXPRESSION ([col_group] = 35)
   NAME "Kandosols"
   COLOR 255 255 128
   OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
    LABEL
      COLOR 0 0 0
      TYPE truetype
      SIZE 8
      FONT arial
      POSITION cc
      force true
      WRAP "|"
    END #label
END

END # LAYER

LAYER
  NAME "100k Contours"
  TYPE line
  STATUS default
  CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
  TILEINDEX "/data4/WWW/projects/lwmp/se_grid100k.shp"
  DATA "0"
  TILEITEM "contours"
  LABELCACHE ON

      PROJECTION
        "proj=utm"
        "zone=56"
        "ellps=GRS80"
        "south"
        "no_defs"
      END

 MAXSCALE 250000
 LABELITEM "feature.modi"

 CLASS
    NAME "100k Contours"
    COLOR 168 112 0
    SYMBOL "double-line"
    SIZE 2
    LABEL
      COLOR 0 0 0
      TYPE truetype
      SIZE 8
      FONT arial
      POSITION auto
      ANTIALIAS TRUE
    END # Label

  END # CLASS

END # LAYER

LAYER
  NAME "100k Drainage"
  TYPE line
  STATUS default
  CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
  TILEINDEX "/data4/WWW/projects/lwmp/se_grid100k.shp"
  DATA "0"
  TILEITEM "drainage"

      PROJECTION
        "proj=utm"
        "zone=56"
        "ellps=GRS80"
        "south"
        "no_defs"
      END

 MAXSCALE 250000

 CLASS
    NAME "100k Drainage"
    COLOR 0 112 255
    SYMBOL "double-line"
    SIZE 2
  END # CLASS

END # LAYER

END # Map File

Robin Ellis
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
PO Box 1167
Bundaberg QLD 4670
ph +61 7 4131 5771
fax +61 7 4131 5823
Robin.Ellis at nrm.qld.gov.au

and/or publication of this e-mail message is prohibited.
computer system network.