[Mapserver-users] pointObj method 'draw'

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Mon May 17 10:28:09 EDT 2004

Manfred,

Why the difference?

First, it must be understood that the development of the MapServer
software
is primarily driven by advances in the mapserv program, and that the
mapscript module has been developed by wrapping structures and functions
used in mapserv.  I don't think that the mapscript module has been
through
much design, rather it grows by judicious accretion of features from
mapserv.

In mapserv, lines are only drawn within the context of layer features or
within the context of a legend, hence there is no drawing of lines only,
only the function that we wrap to use with shapeObj::draw.
Because of the need for annotation, there are functions to draw points
outside of the layer feature context and this is the basis for
pointObj::draw.

You are right that the mapscript API implies that there may exist a
lineObj::draw, and I agree that such a function could be useful.
However,
I am not in favor of extending the general drawing features of mapscript
in the current API.  In my opinion, pointObj::draw and shapeObj::draw
are
elements of bad design and we shouldn't increase bad design with a
lineObj::draw.

Hope this explains, cheers,
Sean

--