[Mapserver-users] MapServer/gdal doesn't like Photoshop tiff

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Wed May 19 05:15:30 EDT 2004

Perry,

Thank you, adding the properly formatted tfw file to the raster
directory restored the image to the example.

Even better, the information you supplied me enabled me to hack up a
TFW file for the GLOBE data and successfully bring that into MapServer,
based on header files downloaded from here...

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/topo/report/s11/s11B.html

It struck me that the data in a TFW file would be inadequate for
representing projected data accurately -- which  pixel in an Albers
Equal Area Conic projection do you use to define the x and y widths?
Then I did a little more research and found that GeoTIFF contains a lot
more than the simple TFW file.  How much distortion am I likely to see
when I use a TFW instead of a precisely specified projection system?
Will there be any for the LatLong GLOBE data, or am I inventing a
problem where none actually exists?  I can't quite wrap my brain around
the  3 dimensional visualization I need to figure it out. It looks like
Lake Superior is in the right place more or less at this scale, but
when I get down to the city level things could be off...

-- Marvin Humphrey