[Mapserver-users] Deriving TIGER extents

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Fri May 21 17:56:21 EDT 2004

On May 20, 2004, at 5:34 AM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> Tiger files from the census do not have any extents info in them. You
> would have to figure that out for each file. I think it would be
> easier to do this with shapefiles.

I understand that performance is *much* better using shapefiles in
comparison to using TIGER files.  However, the presence of extents data
in shapefiles does not seem to free the user from having to specify the
extents in the .map file, at least not with a shapefile created by
using ogr2ogr to convert from TIGER data. I get the same error whether
or not I use shapefiles or raw TIGER.  If MapServer is attempting to
derive extents, as the documentation indicates it does, it is not
succeeding.

> You can convert the files using ogr2ogr.

Thank you for pointing out this app to me.  I will probably mass
convert all my TIGER files with it, provided that I can secure access
to the necessary disk space.

-- Marvin Humphrey