[Mapserver-users] Adding Data

Eric Bridger eric at gomoos.org
Mon May 24 16:30:09 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 15:17, Eric Katherman wrote:
> What would be the best way to "add data" to a mapset... I would like to be
> able to click on a given map.. have it store the points I am clicking and
> when done connect them as a filled polygon with some other tag data
> associated with it... would like to store all of this in MySQL.  What is the
> best place to start.

You will need to use mapscript, vs. CGI mapserver, to accomplish what
you describe. So step one would be to chose your favorite flavor:
Python, PHP, Perl, etc. and get it installed.  Then there are examples
for the various flavors in the Mapserver Wiki for translating a map
click into a lat/long point, creating lines and polygons as shapes, etc.
I'm not sure what the current status of MySQL is regarding storing such
geometries. Postgres with PostGIS could store your geometries along with
your tag data.

HTH.