[Mapserver-users] Configure: Same old error - can't find gd.h or libgd.a/lib - Further Elaboratio

Stephen Diercouff sgd at tfm.com
Wed May 26 21:56:43 EDT 2004

> With regards to my previous question, looking through my config.log file, I
> noticed the following:
>
> >configure:4774: checking for GD 2.0.12 or higher......
> >configure:4818: checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd
> >configure:4818: checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd
> >configure:4849: gcc -o conftest.exe -g -O2   conftest.c -lgd  -lfreetype
> >-lz -L/
> >lib -lpng -L/lib -lz  -L/usr/local/lib  -lm  >&5
> >/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.1/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
> >cannot
> >find -lfreetype

In my case the error had nothing to do with what was being reported by
configure. libgd.so had some external symbol references that were not
defined elsewhere. I had told configure to link statically and it claimed
to be doing so but it was still extracting the symbol table from the
shared library. I renamed the shared library to work around this and then
the build proceeded normally. There is definitely something not right with
config.in. I'm going to spend some more time on it later on and then report
the bug (hopefully with a fix).

It appears that on your system configure thinks you've installed
freetype in one of the standard library locations but it cannot find it
when compiling the gd test program. Either you don't have freetype installed
or it's in a non-standard location. I know nothing of windows or cygwin
so I could not say what the standard location for the library would be.

BTW, if basic installation problems are outside the scope of this list
please let me know and I'll not make similar posts in the future.

--Stephen