[Mapserver-users] Re: Re: [Mapserver-users] raster catalogs with 4.2b3

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri May 28 00:44:45 EDT 2004

Easiest way is with an example.

the usual way:

  LAYER
    NAME 'drgs'
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TYPE RASTER
    TILEINDEX '/Users/sdlime/dev/mndnrdata/drg024idx'
    TILEITEM 'LOCATION'
  END

and the new way:

  LAYER
    NAME 'index'
    TYPE TILEINDEX
    DATA '/Users/sdlime/dev/mndnrdata/drg024idx'
  END

  LAYER
    NAME 'drgs'
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TYPE RASTER
    TILEINDEX 'index'
    TILEITEM 'LOCATION'
  END

Yes, the second way is more verbose. However there are some benefits.
The main being that you can apply filters to the index layer (you can
also draw them). You can take certain tiles out of play for maintainance
or filter on ANY item present in the tile index. Obvious examples
include time values or perhaps sensor type. Basically you can create
much more complex spatio/temporal/whatever indexes with this scheme.
Works for shapefile layers too...

Steve

>>> <mapserver at geochem.de> 05/25/04 9:14 AM >>>

Hi Steve, hi list,

i had a build problem.
After i recompiled mapserver with '--without-tiff' as Norbert suggested
the catalog appears correct.
Could you please describe the new way of creating tile indexes a little
bit more detailed?

Many thanks
Nicol