[Mapserver-users] XML Mapfile

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri May 28 11:48:19 EDT 2004

Sean Gillies wrote:

> On May 28, 2004, at 5:16 AM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There is a pretty extensive discussion on XML mapfiles in the
>> archives, did anything come of this? Did anyone build any conversion
>> tools?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>   -Steve W.
>>

> My XML project is not yet bearing any fruit.  Are you going to the users
> meeting?
> Maybe we could see if any like-minded folks want to discuss it there.

MUM2 is still a question at this point for me.

I am interested in doing something with Perl.

One idea is to:
write a perl script to convert maplexer.l into a Parse::Lex script
and mapparser.y to a Parse::Yapp script. This would allow us to
generate perl code that could accurately read mapfiles based on the
mapserver grammar files. - this may be more trouble than it is worth
as I don't know much about these tools.

My goal would be to be able to read a mapfile and send it as xml to
another client. They could make changes to it and request a map based on
the modified mapfile. The modified mapfile would be validated and
converted back to a Mapfile or would be dynamically instanciated in
Mapscript. I don't think Mapscript supports all the functionality we
need to do the later.

-Steve