thread safe implementations

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Tue Nov 2 16:10:29 EST 2004

On Nov 2, 2004, at 10:47 AM, Dan Barron wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just curious what the current consensus and recommendations are for
> creating a thread safe front end or wrapper for mapserver in either
> php or
> java? I'm assuming that mapserver is still not thread safe - that
> correct?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dan

Dan,

I caught and fixed three sources of potential threading problems before
the 4.2.4 release and these fixes will also be in 4.4.0.  I think we're
close to thread safety, but it's hard to say without more testing.  As
far as I know, my ZMapServer (Zope + Python mapscript) software is the
only thing out there that is using MapServer in a multi-threaded
environment.  It works, but is not a complete proof of thread safety.

There remains much work to be done to in improving MapServer's
threaded performance.  The single lexer for parsing mapfiles and
class expressions is a bottleneck that will be addressed in the future.

cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Gillies