truetype font problems

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Fri Nov 5 10:04:50 EST 2004

Shawn Barnes wrote:
> I've installed mapserver a few times and this problem seems to be a hit and
> miss for me.  I've gone through the archives and haven't found the answer
> yet.
>
> I'm getting an error message - DrawMap: MapServer TrueType Font Error: libgd
> was not built with FreeType font support

> phpinfo() shows,
>
> MapServer version 4.4.0-beta1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
> SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
> SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL
> INPUT=SHAPEFILE
>
> GD Support      enabled
> GD Version      bundled (2.0.28 compatible)

I think the problem is that your PHP used the bundled GD (see above)
which is different from the system GD used by MapServer and
php_mapscript.so. When php_mapscript.so is loaded into PHP you end up
with two different copies of the GD library in the same program and
either one can be used at different times in an unpredictable way,
leading to odd behaviors or even crashes.

I'd suggest recompiling your PHP with the system GD
(--with-gd=/usr/local ???) and see if that helps.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca