dbarron dbarron at DSWLLC.COM
Tue Nov 9 13:53:26 EST 2004

Sean,

Using the patched mapgml.c and recompiling seems to have helped fix the problems I was seeing. It appears to be working right now and I just have some environment issues to work out.

For example if I do not specify the mapscript.jar on the java command line then the java command will only look in <java_home>/jre/lib/ext for it and I get an exception:

 # java -verbose MapScriptTest
  mapscript library LOADED...
  [Loaded edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj from file:/usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/ext/mapscript.jar]
  [Loaded edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI from file:/usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/ext/mapscript.jar]
  [Loaded java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError from shared objects file]
  Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: new_mapObj
        at edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI.new_mapObj(Native Method)
        at edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj.<init>(mapObj.java:334)
        at MapScriptTest.main(MapScriptTest.java:13)
  [Loaded java.lang.Shutdown from shared objects file]
  [Loaded java.lang.Shutdown$Lock from shared objects file]

Then, if I export the CLASSPATH again and specify the jar file on the command line then I move beyond that error to an actual mapserver map file issue:

  #export CLASSPATH
  #java -verbose -classpath $CLASSPATH:/usr/local/lib/java/mapscript.jar MapScriptTest
  mapscript library LOADED...
  [Loaded edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj from file:/usr/local/lib/java/mapscript.jar]
  [Loaded edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI from file:/usr/local/lib/java/mapscript.jar]
  [Loaded java.lang.UnknownError from /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/rt.jar]
  Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnknownError: Given map extent is invalid.
        at edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI.new_mapObj(Native Method)
        at edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj.<init>(mapObj.java:334)
        at MapScriptTest.main(MapScriptTest.java:13)
  [Loaded java.lang.Shutdown from shared objects file]
  [Loaded java.lang.Shutdown$Lock from shared objects file]

This tells me it is working - would you and Umberto agree?  I'll bang on it more today and see where it leads me as well.

Thanks for all your efforts!

Dan