Better Looking Maps

Chris test at STIGASCORP.COM
Thu Nov 11 01:34:19 EST 2004

I'm very new to this, but from all the research I've done, this data is not
available for free.

You can find it from several vendors but usually at a fairly steep price.
GDT and ESRI sell street level data, including points of interest and
geocoding if necessary.  It is usually in the thousands of dollars for this
data, and that is only for personal use.  If you want to publish this data
(on the internet for example), there are additional costs and licensing
restrictions.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Drake [mailto:dondrake at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 10:31 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Better Looking Maps

I've been working with Mapserver for the last few months and I like
what it can do when displaying my data stored in a PostGIS db.

What I need is the maps to look more presentable.  My maps cover the
USA and I need road data, city data, airport data, etc.  The road data
really needs all streets, not just major highways.

Can you provide some example of making better looking symbols?

I have some data I've found on some USGS sites, but it's lacking
detail when zoomed to the street-level.  Is there a place that has
this in a .shp file?

Any commercial mapserver alternatives that would run on Linux?

Thanks.

-Don