imagemaps and <input type=image... tag (or other options)

Andrea Giacomelli Andrea.Giacomelli at CH2M.COM
Thu Nov 18 03:15:14 EST 2004

Hi,

I have managed to generated imagemaps following the basic wiki instructions.

I would like to add the "mouseover balloon" function that the imagemap can replicate to a form where my map is used also for user input (with the standard zoom/pan/identify functions).

I read that the <input type=image....> tags may include a usemap=... parameter to make reference to a client-side imagemap; however the use of the imagemap with the input tag is reported to be 'poorly supported' by browsers in the docs I have, and -in fact- the imagemap is ignored in my application.

Is it possible to combine the map used for zoom/pan/identify input with the imagemap using some other approach ?

alternatively, hints to any other approach to have the 'mouseover balloon' would be appreciated.

I am working with PHP mapscript for all of the above.

Thanks!

andrea