First steps in MapServer country

Hans de Bruin maplist at AVIATION.NL
Fri Nov 19 09:49:00 EST 2004

Hi all,

I've just recently ventured into the land of mapserving, and have installed
mapserver on a local computer on our intranet.
The server is running Win2K, with Apache 1.3.33, PHP 4.3.9 and I've
installed the Mapserver win32 binaries version
4.2 .

I've downloaded and installed the Mapserver Itasca application. It runs
fine, so at least I did something right. But when I select the
'adds dhtml rubber band box' and click initialize, the map comes up red,
with an image not found icon in the corner. After I zoom
some 6 or 7 times, part of the map shows up. I can reproduce this. I've
been fooling around with it, and it almost looks like
it is somehow limited by the amount of data it's supposed to display. For
instance, if I'm zoomed in to a certain scale that
I see the map, if I then add layers to be displayed, it comes up red again.
If I select the raster file the map does not show up
at all, no matter how far I zoom in. Again, in the other modes, all works
perfectly, even if I have all layers selected.
Any ideas on this issue would be much appreciated.

Also, this is all new to me, and I have yet to learn the basic structure of
map files, web templates and how they work together.
However the ultimate goal is to publish some 80 aerial photography ECW's .
Is there maybe a simple map file / web template
combination that takes one ECW and displays it ? I could then work and
learn from that.

Thanks for the help,

Hans de Bruin