OGR - abbreviation?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Nov 22 15:50:41 EST 2004

Michal Krupička wrote:
> Hi all,
>  excuse me please for my stupid question, but does anyone know what
> exactly means abbreviation 'OGR'? I mean each letter {O, G, R}. I
> haven't found anything on its homepage.
> Thank you all for your time
> Mike

Mike,

 From deep in the main OGR page:

---
OGR stands for "OGR"... its meaning is irrelevant today. The original name
for the lib was "OpenGIS Simple Features Reference Implementation" and that's
where OGR comes from. However, since OGR is not fully compliant with the Simple
Feature specification and is not approved as a reference implementation of the
spec the name was changed to "OGR Simple Features Library" ... and the only
meaning of OGR in this name is historical. "OGR" is also the prefix used
everywhere in the source of the library for class names, filenames, etc.
---

In short "OpenGis Reference".

But it isn't called that anymore.

I would add that while I pronounce OGR "O-G-R", it is also (affectionately?)
known in some circles as OGRe which is nicer now that we have the Shrek movies.

Best regards,