ok - got zoom to work - another question

Eric Bridger eric at GOMOOS.ORG
Wed Nov 24 14:19:40 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 13:17, Joseph Norris wrote:
> Eric,
>
> >From observations of other mapserver users, I am beginning to think that it
> might be a better show if I could just put a label of the number of teachers
> that would appear within the polygon when the user zooms into it.
>
> The min/max scale thing is still a point of contention - especially when the
> phrase "trial and error" is used. With what number to I start? With what
> number to I finish? So that I might get something within the trial and error
> boundaries at least to make some change.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> #Joseph Norris (Perl - what else is there?/Linux/CGI/Mysql) print @c=map chr
> $_+100,(6,17,15,16,-68,-3,10,11,16,4,1,14,-68,12,1,14,8,-68,4,-3,-1,7,1,14,-
> 68,-26,11,15,1,12,4,-68,-22,11,14,14,5,15,-90);

By trial and error what I meant was to set your perl script to write the
scale to say, your Apache log or web log, or some temp file, every time
the script runs.  Zoom in N times and you've got a list of scales from
the maximum down to a far as your zoom. Then use those values in your
map file.

Re: the label. You can easily create two layers, one with no lablel for
your maximum to mid scale. And one with a label for the smaller scales.