Utilities

Bob Basques bob.basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Wed Nov 24 14:41:53 EST 2004

Dylan Keon wrote:

> On 11/24/2004 10:40 AM, Bob Basques wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I've used the tileindexing utility a couple of times.   It there
>> something available to actually tile up a large raster and or SHP file
>> into the individual tiles?
>>
>> A combination program would be good too, where the tileindex is
>> generated at the same time.
>

> If you have access to ArcInfo, you can use the following AML to split
> a raster into tiles:
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CreatingTiles
>
> Here is an Avenue script that will split a shapefile:
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VectorTileIndex
>
> There is also this:
> http://xserve.flids.com/pipermail/gdal-dev/2004-September/007049.html
> which I haven't played around with yet.
>
> There may be some other "splitting" methods mentioned in the
> mapserver-users archives...
>
> For creating the tileindexes, use gdaltindex for rasters and tile4ms
> for shapefiles.

This is the first time I've seen the refence to "tile4ms" before.

I actually have a RASTER tiler that I built to run inside of AutoCAD.
It works well.  But I didn't have anything for SHP files.  I could
modify a DWG tiler that i have to output SHPs.  I was just wondering
about what was available already.

Thanks for the info.

bobb