MapServer 4.4.0 released

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Tue Nov 30 11:41:19 EST 2004

On Nov 30, 2004, at 9:25 AM, Steven Monai wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A quick question about the new v4.4.0 release:
>
> Scanning through the extensive changelog (wow, somebody's been busy!),
> see entries which lead me to hope that, with this version, it might
> now be
> safe to use PHP/Mapscript with PHP loaded as an apache module, rather
> than
> as an external CGI executable. Am I being overly optimistic?
>
> Thanks,
> -SM

SM,

I can't say for sure about PHP, but I'm finding that the Python
mapscript
module is safe for use with a multi-threaded Zope.  Your mileage may
vary
because of differences between Python threads (and the interpreter lock)
vs PHP's C (I assume) threads, but MapServer 4.4 has not failed me under
heavy loads (JMeter) and is not leaking memory.

I think you should go ahead and try it, if you succeed you will become
like a godling to PHP mapscript users, and will never have to buy beer
at a users meeting again. :)

cheers,
Sean

--