Map files creation prerequisits

Lowell Filak lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG
Mon Oct 4 13:52:20 EDT 2004

The following message was sent by Manjiri Andhare <mandhare at STATE.PA.US>
on Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:24:07 -0500.

> Hi!
> I wan to create a Map file. I have installed mapserv.exe and I'm using IIS
> on Windows2000. I want to know about what else do i need to create a map
> file and where should i edit it. Can i edit the map file using notepad or
> there is some tool which i could use to build a map file? And is it
> neccessary to have php to work with map files and mapserver software?
> Thank you,
> Manjiri

Manjiri,

"what else do i need to create a map"?

You could start with the demo mapfile
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/dload.html).

"where should i edit it"?

I think the best location is the same directory as the mapserv.exe.

"Can i edit the map file using notepad"?

Yes.

"is some tool which i could use to build a map file"?

Yes, AveiN & gix-export_tool are a couple tools I can think of, I think
there are also some syntax plugins for various text editors.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avein/
http://gix.sourceforge.net/
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/contributed.html

"is it neccessary to have php to work with map files and mapserver
software"?

No.
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc42/mapfile-reference.html
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?QuickstartGuide