ECW on Linux/Unix

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Oct 5 16:16:49 EDT 2004

Matthew Perry wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>   Is it possible to build GDAL with ECW raster support
> on a Linux/Unix box?
>
>   According to the GDAL site, ECW support can be built
> into GDAL but only on Windows. I noticed on the ER
> Mapper site, they have a C/C++ library for Solaris
> (http://www.ermapper.com/downloads/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=72)
>
> Has anyone successfully compiled this on any other
> UNIX? If so, does this allow GDAL read access to ECW
> files?

Matt,

My understanding is that ERMapper have not released a version of their SDK
built for Linux.  GDAL does support the Solaris version.

My understanding is also that ERMapper will be releasing the source to the
ECW SDK once their long running ECW SDK 3.0 beta is complete.  At that point
it should be straight forward to build the SDK and GDAL+ECW on Linux.   I
don't know then that will happen, or even if I have misconstrued their
intentions.

Best regards,