REQUIRE and GROUP

John Bolster jb at NUCOMP.COM
Mon Oct 11 10:09:35 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Is there some conflict between the keywords REQUIRE and GROUP? I have some
layers that are turned on or off through the URL in cgi mapserver by
specifying the name of the group they are in, as in
"&layers=groupname+otherlayer...". However the REQUIRE keyword doesn't
appear to work either in these layers or in any other layer that's requiring
one of them. Here's an example:

LAYER
  GROUP "thegroup"
  NAME "firstlayer"
  STATUS off
  rest of layer definition...
END

LAYER
  REQUIRES "[firstlayer]"
  TYPE annotation
  STATUS default
  rest of layer definition
END

In this example, both layers work fine independently of one another, but I
can't get the annotation layer to respond to the firstlayer. I've tried the
REQUIRES expression with "[firstlayer]" and with "[thegroup]" and neither do
anything. It's like it's ignored. I haven't found any bug report on this so
I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Thanks,
John Bolster