[geos-devel] GEOS and Mapserver - thanks

Godwin, Elizabeth Godwinl at AGR.GC.CA
Tue Oct 12 13:39:06 EDT 2004

Thanks for all the responses!  Now I have to sift through the new info
and see if I can get it all to work.  :-)

Liz Godwin

        -----Original Message-----
        From: geos-devel-bounces at geos.refractions.net
[mailto:geos-devel-bounces at geos.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Godwin,
Elizabeth
        Sent: October 7, 2004 1:29 PM
        To: mapserver-users at lists.umn.edu;
geos-devel at geos.refractions.net
        Cc: Geng, Xiaoyuan; Debbie Pagurek
        Subject: [geos-devel] GEOS and Mapserver

        I've cross-posted this to various lists, so I'm sorry to those
who are getting duplicates.

        I'd like to beef up my Mapserver applications with some
geoprocessing functionality - buffers at present, other functions will
follow.  For now I am playing with PostGIS and having great sucess, IF
my features are all stored in the database.

        What I'd like to be able to do though, is take a feature from
WMS getFeatureInfo or WFS and be able to buffer that.  As a test of
this, I took the GML from a getFeatureInfo request and parsed it
manually to be a WKT string.  Then used PostGIS to run the buffer.
Apart from slight precision differences, it appeared to be close to what
PostGIS would have done with it's own feature (the WMS request was done
against the same feature through MapServer).

        Now that I confirmed this is all possible, what I am missing is
that I'd like to be able to
        a.. do the conversion from GML to WKT with some script/library
        b.. do this with a GML stream
        c.. ultimately do this without PostGIS database dependancy.

        I figure that GEOS can do the geometry format conversions, is
this right?
        Has anyone written a library for linux/windows that will let me
talk to it with PHP?

        I'm prodding these lists in hopes of finding out what else is
going on out there in this area. It would be fabulous if this was all
built into Mapserver, but from what I can tell, it's just a thought
right now.

        Thanks!!

        Liz Godwin