Mapscript + PNG: filled symbol has only a partly filled output

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Oct 12 13:39:31 EDT 2004

Norbert Thieme wrote:

> thanks for the response. I think I found the problem. I just looked in
> the changelog from PHP and found that there seem to be a bug in PHP:
>
> "Bug #27995      imagefilltoborder fails to fill a polygon" -->
> http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=27995
>
> This bug seem to be limited to version 4.3.6. I get the newer version
> and now it work.

This PHP bug would explain the partially filled circles, but you should
still avoid using the PHP bundled GD together with php_mapscript.so: you
should compile your PHP using the system GD as well.

The reason is that php_mapscript.so is compiled with the system GD. If
your PHP is compiled with its own bundled GD then you end up with two
slightly different copies of the same library with the same conflicting
function and data structure names. Depending on execution context,
functions from one of from the other can be used, which can lead to
unpredictable behaviors or crashes. The problem you ran into here was a
good demonstration of that: php_mapscript (compiled with system GD)
ended up drawing its symbols using a function from the PHP bundled GD.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca