building Mapserver on Gentoo: with-httpd

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Oct 12 14:33:09 EDT 2004

Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> I'm trying to build mapserver on Gentoo linux, in preparation to attempt
> an ebuild installation package for it. I have net-www/apache-2.0.52
> installed.
>
> I need information on the expectation of the with-httpd argument:
>
> On Gentoo linux, and perhaps with httpd-2.x in general, there doesn't seem
> to be an 'httpd' program etc. What is that argument looking for? With the
> apr or axps options work instead (configure help says disabled)? Thanks.
>
> Here is the (abbreviated) Gentoo file manifest for an installed
> apache-2.0.52:

Just omit it. The reason why --with-httpd was added was due to a bug in
Apache2 that was fixed in Apache 2.0.49. In your case you have 2.0.52 so
you shouldn't need it.

For the benefits of the list archive, the --with-httpd argument expects
the path to the httpd executable. I'm guessing that on Gentoo it seems
to be /usr/sbin/apache2, so if you needed it then the argument would
have been --with-httpd=/usr/sbin/apache2.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca