[UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] RE : [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Win32 binaries with SDE, anyone ?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Wed Oct 13 13:27:21 EDT 2004

Incidentally, some notes for the list on performance for large data sets:

1 - For very large data sets, nothing will help you more that fast disk
IO.  SCSI disks, spinning as fast as possible, and an IO subsystem can
can handle them, will be the most effective thing you can buy.
2 - After that, lots of memory will allow your operating system to cache
important pieces of data (like indexes!) in memory, again speeding up
your system.
3 - Tuning your database to take advantage of the memory, for
PostgreSQL, check out
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html
effective_cache_size is an oft-overlooked parameter, in addition to the
popular shared_buffers parameter.
4 - CPU speed can help in the final render process, if you are rendering
complex enough maps.
5 - Check your map file for performance bottlenecks. Are there times you
are drawing 10000 high res features when 100 low res features would
provide the same effect? (We are going to commit some patches for 4.4
that put layer timings into the DEBUG logs to make this optimization
process easier.)

Paul