"MsDrawMap():Failed to Draw Layer" Error

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Oct 15 09:19:27 EDT 2004

Chris Hodgson wrote:
> I'm getting the error:
>
> "MsDrawMap(): Failed to draw layer named 'orthophoto'.
>
> Sometimes, depending on where I happen to be zoomed in to. Here is my
> layer definition:
>
>  LAYER
>    NAME "orthophoto"
>    METADATA
>      "wms_title" "orthophoto"
>    END
>    STATUS ON
>    TILEINDEX "tiles.shp"
>    TILEITEM "Location"
>    TYPE RASTER
>    PROCESSING "BANDS=1,1,1,2"
>    PROJECTION
>      "init=epsg:42102"
>    END
>  END
>
> I'm using Mapserver as a WMS 1.0 server, and my image files are
> greyscale jpeg-2000 files with an alpha channel. The tileindex was built
> with gdaltindex, and all the files were created with gdal as well. It
> works fine in some areas, and not in others.
>
> How can I find more about the cause of the error? I looked in the apache
> error_log, nothing there. I tried turning DEBUG ON in the mapfile, no help.

Chris,

You might want to try adding something like the following at the beginning
of your mapfile to get extra GDAL level debug info.

CONFIG CPL_DEBUG "ON"

You didn't mention what version of MapServer you are working with, 4.3 from
CVS recently?

If you can reproduce the problem reliably in a minimal configuration (say
with just a single data file instead of a tile index) then let me know and
I will dig into what is going wrong.

Best regards,