help novice getting Itasca demo working

Brent Wood pcreso at PCRESO.COM
Sat Oct 16 00:20:11 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have a fair bit of GIS experience, but no html or webserver experience, so am
asking for some help to get the mapserver itasca demo running.

I'm using SuSE Linux v9.1.

/srv/www seems to be where SuSE is set up apache to run from....

I have got the initial screen OK on my browser, at
http://192.168.1.17/mapserver_demos/itasca/index.html

I thought I had set up the permissions & paths correctly, as described in the
instructions at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/demo_readme.html#init
but when I click the initialise button, the image is blank, as are the Legend &
icon at the bottom of the RHS dialog area.

my index.html file is edited to

 <!-- EDIT THESE HIDDEN VARIABLES -->
      <input type="hidden" name="map"
value="/srv/www/htdocs/mapserver_demos/itasca/itasca.map">
      <input type="hidden" name="program" value="/cgi-bin/mapserv">
      <input type="hidden" name="root" value="srv/www/cgi-bin">
      <input type="hidden" name="map_web_imagepath"
value="/srv/www/htdocs/tmp/">
      <input type="hidden" name="map_web_imageurl" value="/tmp">

The *.png images of the legend, scale & map are being written to
/srv/www/htdocs/tmp/, but are not displayed by the browser.

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks,

   Brent Wood