help novice getting Itasca demo working

Norman Vine nhv at CAPE.COM
Sat Oct 16 15:15:29 EDT 2004

Brent Wood writes:

> 2 CD's of bz2'd shapefiles. Road, rail, golf courses, caves, quarries, rivers,
> streams, lakes, boat ramps... I'm extracting all the spot elevation data & the
> 20m elevation contour vertices to derive a DEM with GMT. Looks to be about
> 80,000,000 points (Oh for OGR to have GMT format support!).

Brent

If you use Python then these two packages in conjunction
with the GDAL Python extension should be all you need
to get a GMT grid into GDAL and more :-)

http://starship.python.net/crew/hinsen/scientific.html
http://starship.python.net/crew/jhauser/NCfns.py.html

If you want something more interactive then this might help
http://w3.ualg.pt/~jluis/mirone/

HTH

Norman