Directions Magazine Contest - Support MapServer!

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 21 13:52:23 EDT 2004

Hello List,

The Directions Magazine 2004 Web Mapping contest is in full swing. The
entry deadline has passed and the Voting phase has begun.

www.directionsmag.com/web.mapping.contest/

80 websites have been entered in the contest.

In the Business category 2 of those 19 entries have been made using MapServer.

In the Government category 3 of 45 entries list the use of MapServer.

And in the Misc. category 3 of 16 entries list the use of MapServer.

I would like to call upon the MapServer Community to support your
favourite software in this contest, and help drive a MapServer based
website to the winning position in the contest.

A winner will be picked from each category based on the votes received
from the public.  (a quick free registration is required when you
vote)

Now for the shameless personal plug ...

If my efforts have been worthy, I would really appreciate it if your
choice in the Business category was my website.

My website is titled:

'MapServer - For Gold Exploration and Investor Education'

and can be found on the following page of entrants:

http://www.directionsmag.com/web.mapping.contest/?page=2&sort=2&cat=2&view=pages&find=&findStr=

Thank you for your support,

Ken Lord
==============================
Ken Lord B.Sc., A.Dipl.T.H.
Vancouver BC, Canada
kenlord at gmail.com

P.S.

I've made a few nifty tools using JavaScript and ASP to control how
map layers are activated and symbolized, such as the 'Soil Samples by
Percentile' layer that allows you to choose which of 32 elements is
used for symbolization. This is effectively 32 different map layers
described by a single layer in the Map configuration file.  Passing
parameters in the URL can work wonders.

The website operates in frames to allow the map to refresh faster
without reloading the full website.

Soil samples, drill holes and BC Minfile and Assement report data can
be queried, generating drill hole assay tables dynamically and linking
to drill hole cross sections, or leading you directly to the
government historical reports.

Over 100 map layers are available that allow a viewer to see how
different types of gold exploration data relate on the mine property,
in particular by allowing you to quickly overlay different soil assay
elements with geophysics, drill hole locations, geology, underground
mine levels, claims, and a 0.25m Orthomosaic.  The site has been used
by company geologists to plan ongoing gold exploration work where
anomolous data hasn't been followed up with ground work.

I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding how I've put things
together if it would be a help to anyone.

Ken