shapefile creation

John Bolster jb at NUCOMP.COM
Sat Oct 23 17:39:30 EDT 2004

Hello,

I need to plot dynamically created points on my map. I don't have mapscript
installed. I've been trying to dynamically create a shapefile. I'm on a
commercially hosted server and I don't have root access and they are telling
me that they can't get mapserver reinstalled with mapscript, so I'm stuck
without it. The shapefile format didn't look too complicated to generate
directly from php, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I keep getting
the record lengths wrong.

Any ideas for alternative ways to get a dynamic layer drawn? Is there
another format of data file I could create in PHP and point my map file to
with CGI parameters? Is it possible to get a precomiled binary for
mapscript?

I can plot individual features by dynamically creating features through the
URL, but that won't work for 500 or so points.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John Bolster