SLD WellKnownName PointSymbolizer

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Oct 26 10:46:42 EDT 2004

Sorry for a late answer on this.

 From what I understand in the specs is that beside the WellKnowName
symbols, you have the possiblity to use an external graphic symbol using
an URL to point to a symbol (GIF, SVG ...any MIME type supported). I
don't think there are other mecanism (or mybe I missed it).

Mapserver supports external symbols as GIF and PNGs but not any vector
symboloy like svg.

Not sure how we can accomodate mapsever symbology unless we do specific
support in the sld to be able to read mapserver symbol file (something
like this) : reading symbol 4 in the symbol file :
<OnlineResource
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
xlink:type="simple"
xlink:href="http://www.vendor.com/geosym/mapserver_symbolfile.sym#4"/>
<Format>mapserer_sym</Format>

  But this is really out of the specs. Any other suggestions ?

Later,

Van Ulden, Joost wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I understand that MapServer supports the minimum required WellKnownName
> (square, circle, triangle, cross, x) Marks in SLD.  The question is (since
> the spec indicates that it's possible) how does one extend/add new symbols.
> As mapserver seems to write the symbols in the mapfile anyway I was
> wondering if there was a way that I could add my own.  We would prefer to
> use vector symbology for obvious reasons.  Any suggestions would be helpful.
>
> Thanks in advance,

> Joost van Ulden
> Programmer/Analyst
> Natural Resources Canada / Ressources naturelles Canada
> Geological Survey of Canada / Commission geologique du Canada
> 101 - 605 Robson Street / 101 - 605 rue Robson
> Vancouver, B.C. / Vancouver (C.B.)
> V6B 5J3
> Office/Bureau:  604.666.7525
> fax/telecopieur: 604.666.1124