learner driver problem (with mapfile?)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Oct 26 16:42:40 EDT 2004

Brent Wood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to learn how to drive mapserver, working through the tutorial, and
> trying to apply it to some of my data.
>
> I have a mapfile created by qgis, with a couple of edits (included below)
>
> I tried to point my browser directly at the map, with:
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/srv/www/htdocs/mapserver_demos/wgtn.map&mode=map
>
> My browser says I'm seeing a 600x600 jpeg (or png, as appropriate) but the
> image is completely blank, so I figure mapserver is drawing a blank image.
>
> Could someone explain what I've done wrong?

>   STATUS ON

Brent,

It may not be your only issue, but one problem is that the URL is supposed
to list the layers you want turned on.  Putting STATUS ON in a mapserver layer
definition really means it can be turned on by the end-user if requested.
A shortcut for now is to set the status to DEFAULT.

Note there may be other stuff you are missing, I'm not to sure.  I normally have
an "init page" that sets up a few hidden variables for context.

Best regards,