display lines and polygons which cross the international date line

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Oct 27 21:48:28 EDT 2004

Joseph Bussell wrote:
> Greetings Listers,
>   Has anyone made any progress with the display of lines and polygons
> which cross the international date line?

Joe,

It depends over what time scale you mean.  There was work done in October of
2001 (gee, it didn't seem like it was so long ago) to avoid having
cross-dateline polygons and lines get drawn "across the world".  I don't think
there has been any vector side improvements on anti-meridian issues since
then.  There was some work done more recently on the raster side.

I did setup a wiki topic at:

   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WorldMappingIssues

to discuss anti-meridian and global scale mapping issues.  Please feel free
to add notes there and/or file a bug for any problems you encounter that you
think are solvable.

Best regards,