Data format issues.

Eric Bridger eric at GOMOOS.ORG
Wed Sep 1 11:44:36 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 10:48, Jerl Simpson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have found a great place for retrieving data.  HOWEVER the issue is
> the files are in .E00 ArcInfo Export format.  I would like to get these
> into a format I can use with mapserver (as an OGR connection is fine).
> Does anyone know of something that will convert these files into
> something I can use?  I have found at least one program, but it is part
> of another package that costs well over $1,000.  I don't particularly
> want to buy an entire package, for one function out of it.  And I really
> don't want to spend $1,000+.
>
> I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this issue.
>
> What would really be great is if mapserver can now read .E00 files.  But
> I hadn't found it thus far.

I've had great success using Daniel Morissette's avcimport program.
http://avce00.maptools.org/avce00/avce00.html#avcimport

Then you can use ogrinfo to examine the data and OGR to display it in
mapserver.

1) avcimport <file.e00> <ouput_dir>
which will create <output_dir> and <info_dir> in the current directory.
2) ogrinfo <output_dir>
will give you the list of layers available, I think always: ARC, PAL,
LAB and CNT.
3) orginfo <output_dir> <layer_name> will give you projection info,
extents, attributes, etc and much OGC WKT data.
4)Then create a layer:
CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
CONNECTION "<output_dir>"
DATA "<layer_name>"  (PAL, ARC, LAB, CNT)

I'm pretty sure PAL is polygon data, ARC is lines, LAB is labels, CNT is
points but I'm no OGR expert.