Dashed Outline

David Fawcett David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Wed Sep 8 10:39:48 EDT 2004

As promised, I added a working example to the Wiki

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SymbolExamples

Scroll down to the 'Creative Solutions' section.

For documentation in the archives, here is a working example.  Note
that the STYLE object was added in version 4.0, so this example won't
work with pre-4.0 versions of MapServer.

The effect is achieved by adding two styles to the class, one for the
colored fill and the other for the dashed outline.

LAYER
    NAME county
    TYPE polygon
    STATUS default
    DATA cntypy
    CLASS
        STYLE    #this style defines polygon fill color
            COLOR 225 225 185
        END
        STYLE     #this style defines the outline of the polygon
            OUTLINECOLOR 128 128 128
            SYMBOL 'dashed'
        END
    END
END

This example requires that:

    1. You have a symbol definition in your symbol.sym file that is
named 'dashed' and looks like this

    SYMBOL
        NAME 'dashed'
        TYPE ELLIPSE
        POINTS 1 1 END
        FILLED true
        STYLE 10 5 5 10 END
    END

    2. You have line in your MAP file stating the correct path to your
symbols file (e.g. SYMBOLSET symbols/symbol.sym)

David.

David J. Fawcett
MN Office of Environmental Assistance

>>> Monica Socol <monicasocol at CUESTASYS.COM> 9/7/2004 11:27:52 AM >>>
Yes,
It is possible. You have to define a new symbol into .symbols file for
dashed line.
Then you have to define 2 styles for that class:
- The first one will have the colour for the filling or the symbol for
the interior or the polygon.
- The second style defines the line (symbol, size, colour).
I found out that if I put everything in one style, the symbol and size
are applied to the interior, not to the line. But it works with 2
separate styles.

----
Monica Socol
Systems Architect
Cuesta Systems Inc.
5230 South Service Rd., Burlington L7L 5K2
tel: 905.333.4544 ext 30
fax: 905.333.0455
e-mail: monicasocol at cuestasys.com