Extracting data froma a shp

Thomas Shaw thomas at REDMILENIO.COM
Tue Sep 14 16:29:30 EDT 2004

Hello, I hope that you can help me with this:

Actually I have mapserver and I'm creating a map with 2 layers, and I'm
generating another layer with mapscript. That layer is generated by
reading a data base that has latitude and longitud fields. So I read a
position (lat,lon) and generate the layer. Until here I have no problem,
the generated layer is appearing correctly in the map as a 3rd layer, but
the thing I'm trying to do is to extract from the shape file that is in
the other 2 layers, information that can help me to know how far is the
new point in the generated layer from the nearest information point in the
shp that is in the other 2 layers. I'm using this map for car
localization, so, in some way I have to make an information table with the
telling where the unit is referencing it with the other 2 layers in the
map. Is some solution for my problem?

Greetings

Thank you