Newbie question - building GDAL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Sep 29 09:36:54 EDT 2004

Gerhard Engel wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I am relatively new to the MapServer world and would like to display an
> ArcInfo grid. My MS-version is 4.2.3 with input support for GDAL. I have
> read most(?) of the documentation about displaying raster files but using
> the GDAL library in practive is still unclear to me. Do I need to compile
> the downloaded 1.2.1 library? If this is the case please be patient with my
> ignorance, but: how do I compile this stuff?? - I've never had this to do
> before so any instructions would be welcome.

Gerhard,

If you have a MapServer with GDAL support already you should not need to
do anything special to use Arc/Info Binary Grids (I assume that is what
you mean by arcinfo grid - there are also ascii equivelents).  The only
trick with grids is how you name the grid.  The easiest way to refer to the
grid is by giving the name of the hdf.adf file the grid directory.

Best regards,