trying to install mapserver on Mac OS X

Jim Lists jim.lists at MAC.COM
Sun Apr 3 23:17:57 EDT 2005

Total MapServer and UNIX newbie question

I'm a Mac user trying to learn this UNIX stuff, hoping to get MapServer
installed on my PowerBook running 10.3.8

I tried the installer from 2003 which is 3.6.4 - but I'm not sure how
to figure out if it installed for real or not. I never did figure out
the PHP part of that installation - it got too cryptic and I couldn't
follow

Now, I see that there is a new set of files that I *may* be able to
install (i.e. post by William K) - if the instructions include any
human readable english (sorry, I'm really not up on all of the Terminal
language, but I'm trying)

Any words of wisdom? Is there any set of how-to's that are in basic
english out there?

I would like to take advantage of having apache installed, and maybe do
a tutorial or try out some GIS locally on this machine.

Thanks

Jim