setting up a web mapping system

Stuart Blair stublair at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 4 07:36:42 EDT 2005

Dear All,

I am currently trying to develop a web mapping system to show the location
of a
variety of jazz clubs with their time of opening, and the place and date of
birth and death for a large number of jazz muscians. I'm therefore basically
trying produce a web portal that allows a small number of music historians
(who
have limited mapping knowledge) to explore the diffusion of jazz from New
Orleans to the rest of the United States.

The data is currently in shapefile format and i want to develop a decent
open
source system to get the data on the internet, however, being a bit new to
all
this I am struggling to find anywhere that tells you how to set this sort of
thing up or indeed all the software you need. as i understand it at the
moment
the chain of event would be:

shapefile -> mapserver -> gml -> wfs client (though i could really do with
an
example of one to use) -> shapefile ->geoserver -> jo bloggs using internet
explorer looking at the (jazz) files.

is this correct or am i way off the mark. I would really really appreciate
any
help you may may be able to give and websites/documents you would recommend
help me get going - please email me any suggestions you may have - as i'm
sure to get them that way.

Yours sincerely,

Stuart Blair