Mapserver/PostGIS general questions about how best to do things

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at TAMU.EDU
Tue Apr 5 08:48:59 EDT 2005

Hmmm.  I thought I saw a discussion of doing #1 *on* the PostGIS list.
I seem to recall a general sentiment that the up-front work sould be
tedious but the overall result would be faster queries/maps.

Regards #2, I think you're treading on unploughed (plowed? it's still
early) ground for Mapserver.  I run into the same sort of thing with the
myriad of weather data I've got.  I've decided that, for my page, I'm
simply making a decision on what the users can get at.

HOWEVER, I believe a php-based page could render a new mapfile on the
fly while allowing column selections, and you could then work it by
calling that new mapfile.

I've not tried that.  Just a thought.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173