Google maps w/ satellite imagery

Thu Apr 7 13:58:22 EDT 2005

There is nothing stopping you from doing just that with mapserver. All
you would have to do is write a script that has a double nested for loop
to iterate over all your spatial data and define the bounding boxes for
each tile, then ask mapserver to generate the tile and save it into your
tree structure. Then do it again for each zoom scale you want. You can
probably take the google javascript and then modify it to request tiles
from your directory tree. You might want to write a very thin php script
that converts tile requests in file requests, but maybe not.

I would be interested in such a script if you want to develop it, in
fact I might have a little time to collaborate on it. I don't thing the
actual script is that hard, I'm not sure about what projection
(lat-long? or otherwise) you would want/need to use so the tiles fit
seamlessly together. It would also be interesting to know how much space
and the number of files needed for each zoom level.

-Steve W.