Google maps w/ satellite imagery

Kyle Cronan kyle at PBX.ORG
Thu Apr 7 14:17:39 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 14:01, Camden Daily wrote:
> Kyle,
>
> That's a nice interface you've built.  I take it that you generate
> each seperate tile on it's own, which is what causes some issues at
> the tile borders?  Would it be possible to instead have mapserver (or
> shp2img) generate the entire map all at once, and then use a seperate
> program to split those tiles up?

Thank you, although the javascript is the work of a collegue of mine.  I
do the mapfiles!

Yes, we simply spawn shp2img on the same mapfile (with different EXTENT)
for each 300x300 tile.  Generating the whole map at once would surely
not be feasible--I'm currently working on a map that is, at the highest
zoom level, about one quarter of a terrapixel!  However, we have
considered making the tiles in larger pieces and then cutting them up.
Still, this doesn't eliminate the problem but does reduces it.  I've
also noticed mapserver segfaults when you try to go above a certain
image size--it would be nice if the memory structures were dynamically
allocated.  But perhaps that's a topic for the dev list.

Kyle
<kyle at pbx.org>