Google maps w/ satellite imagery

Mike Davis mike.and.kerry at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 8 15:16:33 EDT 2005

> That might be true for data that does not change often. It might also be
> true for data that you want to see in one coordinate system only. And
> for data that you do not want to overlay intersect and visualize with
> data from another source. Think interoperable and what googlemaps has
> shown us up to now is not worth a penny.

I am all for interoperability and all, but I argue that the vast
majority of GIS types looking to implement a Mapserver/IMS site are
not interested in mapping the world or integrating a bunch of
disparate data sources.  They are GIS managers and technicians at the
Municipal and Territorial (State, Province, whatever) level interested
in providing their constituents access to public information.
Providing these potential customers/developers with the ability to
automatically generate tiled maps that can be served quickly is
definitely a worthwhile effort.

Getting someone hooked on Mapserver and Open Source solutions by
giving them what they want/need is a good thing.  Once people see the
great things possible with standards like WFS and the creative juices
start flowing, maybe a few of them will make the leap to a more
dynamic mapserver interface... But you've got to get them in the door
first.